Friday, April 19, 2013

Shaggy's B-Day

Birthdays feel different here.  Probably because having land opens up a whole new world for us.  When K was making her super secret eclairs for Shaggy's birthday, we had to vacate the house.  She insisted they be a surprise.  Even though the cat had been let out of the bag several times already.

But away we went nonetheless.  We went grabbed the dogs and a couple of kids to go for a walk down by our nifty frog pond.
Where J floated his pirate ships which contained kix that represented our family.  He stuck the girls in the little dingy and the boys got the big boat.  I think the girls ended up floating down stream because he capsized the dingy.  I'm glad he's not my pirate captain.  He'd probably make me walk the plank first.
I don't think it's possible for my children to be bored when they're around any form of water.
It draws them in like a magnet.
Surprisingly, Shaggy had his camera on him.  He usually leaves that all up to me.
R was happy to be a little clown, especially after the kix version of herself drowned at J's hand.  She didn't want to play with him after that.  Can't blame her.
Then Shaggy reminded J about their efforts searching for any great American chestnut trees that we might have growing on our property.  J swears he sees them all over.  This is what he looks like when he begins talking about something that captivates him.  It is almost always something related to nature.
He is so careful to examine things.  Here, he's trying to determine if this is a chestnut leaf.
Below, Shaggy and J are looking over the trunks to see if they match the criteria from the American chestnut foundation.  Nope, I didn't know that existed, either.  I learn a lot when I go on walks with these two.
R is happy to join in just about anything.  She's had that easygoing nature since she was a newborn.  As long as we don't try to give her a red bowl when she wants a yellow one, she's all good.  We've learned not to mess with her preferences in dishware.
Then the master chef came to lift our banishment from the kitchen.

Her mouth-watering eclairs were done and ready to be devoured.
I am not exaggerating when I say that those things are delicious.  Seriously the best eclairs I have ever had.  And I love eclairs, so I know what I'm talking about.

I could get used to birthdays like this where I can pass off the baking to another resident chef and where I don't even have to buy a present because the birthday boy already took care of that for himself.  Happy day to my old man!

No comments: