Thursday, May 30, 2013

All Work and Some Play

I'm not sure if any of us knew just how much work living in this house would entail.  There's never enough time to do all that needs to be done, it seems.  But we do what we can.  And we rope the kids into helping up to the point of mutiny.  We're hoping that mutiny point will become more and more delayed as their work loads gradually increase.  But, we'll see if my theory pans out.
 
All I know is that I will not send my kids out into the world without a good work ethic.  If they develop even a decent portion of the work ethic that their father possesses, I will be a happy mama.  And they will be better equipped to function in life.
 
Spring storms brought down a fair amount of trees in our neighborhood.  So we happily helped our neighbors clear them off their property.  We brought the logs home and chopped some of them up for firewood.
Shaggy was the master ax man.  Check out that facial expression.  Serious stuff.
The girls took over for me after a while, hauling and stacking like a couple of lumber jacks.
That's our family's first ever wood pile right there.  I have to admit it feels good to have a little stockpile for cooking, heating, etc.
The little girls helped by making sure Shaggy took breaks to push them around in the wheelbarrow.  Whatever would we do without their assistance?
We used the best logs to complete our campfire seating arrangements.  R especially approves of the double wide one.
Shaggy gathered smaller fallen branches to build a civil war era compost heap.  He was so proud of that thing that he bugged me for days about going out to look at it with him.  I couldn't figure out why he was so eager for me to see the compost pile.  I always make the kids take the compost out there.  It's cool to have one and all, but certainly doesn't merit special trips of appreciation.  But when I saw his architectural skills at work, I was sufficiently impressed.  I think.  But more praise is generally the way to go in these matters, so I should probably heap on some more.
 
J is often too hard to find when it comes to family work projects.  He spends as much time as possible out exploring our property.  Half the time, I don't even know in which direction he went.  But sometimes, I catch him in the act of nature exploration.  And then we all go MIA from the family work project because I can't resist trying to capture the moment.
The moments when he captivates his younger sisters by demonstrating the principles of flotation.
 
Or when they discover that the frog pond is loaded with frog eggs.
It's hard to express just how much I love the fact that they have these amazing things right at their fingertips to explore.  It's the very best after school/summer camp they could ever be enrolled in.  And even though I can't always be privy to the things they are experiencing, I look forward to being witness to what they make of the memories they're forming right now. 

Gardening is our other fledgling endeavor these days.  We planted lots of berries, beans, peas, onions, cantaloupe, watermelon, tomatoes, and various fruit trees.  I've been hearing lots of horror stories about all the different things that can go wrong.  I dutifully report these things to Shaggy, who just continues to work and hope.  It would be nice if we can figure out how to successfully produce some of our own food.  Preferably for our family and not the bunnies, deer, bugs and bears that are known to like garden buffets around here.

We had the kids help plant at least one of the fruit trees.  It would be their tree to watch grow and help care for.  It should be fun to see how they both change over the years. 

Will all this work will pay off?  I guess time will tell.

1 comment:

Mom said...

It must feel good to see all that hard work produce wonderful things, like a woodpile, a compost heap, a campfire (complete with seating), and, hopefully later in the season, lots of delicious fruits and veggies.