Saturday, August 31, 2013

Anniversary

Shaggy and I were married 16 years ago.  It doesn't seem like it's been nearly that long.  Until I take a look at my 14-year-old daughter.  She's incontrovertible proof of the passing of all those years.

Some have been better than others.  Some have been wonderfully boring and low-key.  Others have been full of excitement and decisions and stress.  There's been a constant level of noise and chaos and unpredictability each year since we had more than one child.  With each successive child, we've faced new and different parental challenges.  Some of which we've overcome, and others which seem to overcome us.  We've had plenty of laughter and plenty of frustration.  Sometimes all at the same time. 

I can't say that our years together have been glamorous, but glamour was never really my thing anyway.  We chose, instead, to settle in and build a family.  Sometimes I think we're doing a good job, and other times I'm convinced that we're not.  Such is parenthood, I suppose.


But through it all, I have been grateful to have this man at my side.  He truly is my better half in so many ways.  Here's to another 16 years . . . at least.


No comments: