Wednesday, October 16, 2013

One Year

I remember when we first moved here and I wondered what it would feel like when we had been here for a year.  Back then, it seemed soooo far away.  I was sure that we would feel like veterans once all that time had passed.
 
But now that I'm on the other end of that year, I find that I definitely don't feel like a veteran.  I still get lost.  I still have to ask for advice from local FB friends.  I still haven't settled on a favorite dentist for the kids, though we do have our pediatrician nailed down.  We haven't even tried any optometrists, yet.  I don't have a preferred grocery store.  And there are loads of people at church that I don't know.
 
But, whatever.
 
My home feels like home.  And that's what really matters to me.
 
Sure, there are a million and one things I want to change/fix around the house.  But since we only have time and money for a couple projects a month, those improvements are moving at a snail's pace.  But after a year, at least it looks a little bit like we're making progress. 
 
But the great outdoors, our great outdoors haven't needed any help from us.  We fell in love with this driveway at the very beginning, in all her lush, green vividness.
 
We have at least one of each of the seasons under our belt.  And though it seems the rule for this state is that each and every season is 'unusual' in some way, at least we have a better idea of what to expect.
 Spring sneaks up on you around here.  One day things are dreary and dead, and within a few days everything is bursting forth.  Rainstorms come in all shapes and sizes.  And they hurry spring along as if they are as impatient for her rebirth as we are.
 Summer rolls in lazily, trailing a plethora of mosquitos and heavy humidity.  The rainstorms continue, but provide little relief from the moisture in the air.  Summer also bring a cornucopia of life.  The frogs, squirrels, spiders, wasps, caterpillars, cicadas, rabbits, turtles, bees, mice, beetles, owls, and snakes come out of hiding.  Along with those pesky, overabundant mosquitos.
And just when you think you can't survive any more summer days, fall slips quietly into the woods, clothing them in glory.  There is a crispness to the air that is almost tangible and quite invigorating.  Our first fall was absolutely amazing.  But now that we know what winter brings, I think autumn will now forever feel somewhat bittersweet.  But fall is the best time of the year to spot such things as bears and deer.
Winter dresses mostly in grey, drab colors.  She is barren and offers little beauty.  Except when it snows.  Snow doesn't often linger very long, and it rarely accumulates so we have to rush out to enjoy it while we can.  The schools around here are awfully accommodating in that regard.  They almost always cancel school when we have even a few inches of snow.  My theory on that is that it's due to a combination of geographical, cultural, and infrequency factors.  All I know for sure is that I'm glad I don't have to make the decisions, the curvy, hilly country roads really are quite treacherous, and I LOVE SNOW DAYS!
 
It feels really great to have been here through all the seasons.  And I look forward to witnessing them change time and time again.

No comments: