Monday, April 29, 2013

April Fool

April Fools day fell during spring break.  It was a glorious day where we didn't have to get up early.  So I stayed in bed.  I could hear the children moving around, but since no one was screaming, I stayed put.  Then I heard whispers and movement outside my door.  Obviously, my children were up to something.  But again, since there was no screaming and it sounded like they were all actually cooperating and getting along, I didn't want to do anything to spoil it.  Like, say, get out of bed and open my bedroom door.  So I lounged some more.
 
Of course, I didn't remember it was April Fool's day.  So when I finally decided I better call out to let them know I was awake and would be emerging from my room momentarily, I was totally surprised by what I encountered.
A booby-trapped door which made the closet door swing towards me and block the way when I tried to open my bedroom door.  I managed to maneuver through that difficulty to the sound of my children's muffled laughter.  Then I had to navigate the blanket blockades.
And came face to face with the camera lady.  Ugh!  Didn't she know that had just rolled out of bed?
 
Then, I was shot by my son.  With a nerf gun.  But the bullets were caught by some plastic wrap that had been taped across the hallway.  Phew!  That was close.  I was almost a goner.
The peanut gallery was cheering me on.
Those blankets were supposed to act as a barricade to keep them out of the way.  But B doesn't follow instructions very well and her big sis followed her example of sitting on top of the barricade instead of behind it.
Which made me feel rather nervous since the stair case is just behind them.  Needless to say, the peanut gallery didn't last very long.
These were the three masterminds.  Apparently they'd been plotting this for a few days.  Good thing they are so well supervised in this house that nothing escapes the notice of their very attentive guardians.
 
Or not.  I seriously knew nothing about this.  It was a complete surprise.  I was a total April Fool.
Which was quite delightful to this girl.  This is what the hallway looked like from the other side.
They even set up a corner with my transformed children.  The kids dressed various stuffed animals in their clothing next to a note from Muriel Taggart, the bad witch from Fablehaven.
And my sweet, creative kids even made me lunch.  Though I had a hard time sorting out which was real food and which was plastic.  Pretty good look-alikes, aren't they?
 
Good job, guys.  You got me.  That was some great teamwork put to good use.
 
And just in case I didn't say it loudly enough before, I AM AN APRIL FOOL!

No comments: