Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mother's Day--The Clean Version

We were asked to speak in church on Mother's Day.  Which was just fine.  It wasn't like we had anything else going on, so there was plenty of time to prepare.  Sarcasm.  Sarcasm.

But those assignments always end up being good for me, so I try my best to embrace them.  It was stressful trying to fit in the prep time, but we somehow managed it.  Shaggy had to use some flight and hotel time to get his done, but all's well that ends well.  And the best part of all was how relieving it was to go to church the next week without a talk hanging over our heads.

Our congregation usually gives out a little Mother's Day treat.  In the past it has been a small personal box of chocolates from See's.  I think those were my favorites.  But the past few years, they've been giving out cupcakes.  Normally, I am a big fan of cupcakes.  But they are much harder to  a) stuff into your mouth in a hurry so your kids don't see  b) eat in church without making too much of a mess, or c) slip into a bag to save for a future peaceful moment.  A cupcake, at church, with 5 children in Sunday clothes clamoring for a bite.  Somehow, I don't think a mom with little kids thought this one through.

I tried my best.  I really did.  But my cupcake did not arrive home in an edible condition.
Thanks to Baby B.  And her huge meltdown about not being allowed to "borrow" a toy from nursery to bring home with her.  Once I successfully wrestled the toy out of her hands, she immediately began dive bombing to reach my cupcake.  Which didn't really take very long since I was discracted by trying to shepherd my other children through the crowded church hallways.
So this is what my Mother's Day treat looked like when we finally made it home.  Mmmmm!
But how could I stay frustrated with that face?  And those bright, innocent eyes?  Besides, the cupcake was sugar free because they ran out of the regular ones by the time I made it off the stand to get one.  And it was really, really not very tasty.  All's well that ends well.

No comments: