Sunday, May 8, 2011

Family Tree

For Mother's Day gifts this year, we commissioned a very local artist to make one-of-a-kind family trees.  Very local.  As in she lives with us.  And she usually does what we tell her to.  Usually.

K earned more money towards girls camp by making these.  We thought they turned out pretty cool.  She used steel wire (although aluminum is easier to bend, if you can find it.) and plyers.

I made the glass tile pendants.  A little time consuming, but not very hard.  You need glass tiles (available in various sizes online--mine came from etsy).  Photos cut to the size of the tile.  I printed mine on double sided scrapbook paper so the back would have a nice design.  Diamond glaze to spread on the back of the tile to stick the photo to.  After it's dry, spread more on the back of the photo to create a hard, glass-like finish.  Once it's dry, use E6000 to glue on a bail so the pendants can be hung from the branches of the tree.
 
I can't tell you how much I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having crafty kids!!

1 comment:

Mom said...

I LOVE my family tree. Very cool!