Friday, August 31, 2012

Are We There Yet? Taking the High Road


We had a pretty rough night thanks to B’s restlessness, but she woke up with her usual fighting spirit.  I wish I could say the same about myself.  While we were packing, she was climbing, screaming “Mine!” and “No!” and making mischief of one kind and another.  It’s so nice to know that this is the last time for more than a week that we’ll have to pack up and load the van.  Last night was actually our last night on the road.  Our next stop is temp quarters where we get to stay all the way until we close on our new house and our stuff is delivered (hopefully all in one piece).
We took the scenic high road, the Blue Ridge Parkway so we could catch a glimpse of the vistas that have greeted residents of this part of the country for centuries.  I know how land and scenery can become an inseparable part of the people.  So even though I was still feeling entirely road weary, I did my best to bury my impatience and support Shaggy in wanting to see the glory our new state had to offer.  First impressions are lasting.
B was mildly fussy most of the day.  R was tired and prone to emotional outbursts.  S was inclined to take offense at the smallest things.  J had to use the restroom at all the most inconvenient times.  Shaggy wanted to stop at all the lookout points, most of which were so overgrown with trees and lush vegetation that the view was blocked.  I was ready to just get to the hotel already, with or without seeing the smoky blue mountains.  K was steady today, just along for the ride.  I was thankful for that.
The kids’ behavior at our lunch stop was a good indication of just how much we needed to be done with driving.  All the pent up energy and emotion came bursting out for all the Arby’s patrons to witness.  Our children were hopelessly beyond our control.  It was time to go home.  But since temp quarters in as close as we can get to home at the moment, we thankfully decided to take the fastest route and skip any further scenic anything.  Besides, I think the poor doggies were just about melting during our 5 minute stops.
Everybody (yes, including me!) wanted to listen to Harry Potter.  And though B continued to make it hard to listen sometimes, we persevered with the story.  I lost all motivation to type up any notes for my little travelogue and so the details of the day are fairly fuzzy.  Except I recall something about Harry blowing up his Aunt Marge and then taking the night bus to Diagon Alley and Sirius Black escaping Azkaban so he could try to kill Harry.

Somewhere in the midst of all that high drama, we finally arrived at temp quarters.  *Sigh*  It was long past any normal dinner hour, so we all had chocolate cheerios and went to bed. 

Whatever tomorrow brings, it will not involve driving.  It’s hard to overestimate my excitement about that little fact, even though we’re not quite there yet.

No comments: