Monday, October 12, 2009

The Extra Mile

On my way to J’s school, there’s a tree whose branches hang down low over the sidewalk.  I always have to duck, while pushing R in the stroller, to make it past the tree.

The other day, a man was standing in his driveway, resting after trimming his bushes.  We said hi.  This is the full extent of our relationship.  I know nothing about him other than where he lives.

On my way home from school, the man was still standing there and watched me as I walked freely under the tree.  It took me a few moments to realize that I no longer needed to duck under the branches.  He had trimmed the tree.

How very nice of him.  There were no demands, no complaints, no home association rules.  Just a man willing to show kindness to a total stranger.

It wasn’t until a few days later that I noticed the rest of the story.  The tree wasn’t on his property.  It belongs to his neighbor.  Hmmmm . . . neighborly kindess . . . going the extra mile . . . I guess it just depends on who you ask.

No comments: